Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Music in general
May 06, 2007 08:17PM
Which bands/artists do you like
and who do you hate.
why?

-make 'em bleed-
May 07, 2007 06:38AM
My Current igoogle gadget of visns fav songs this week is:
1) I don't love you - My Chemical Romance
2) Change Your Mind - The Killers
3) You - Binocular
4) Breathe In -Frou Frou
5) Fight Test - The Flaming Lips
6) Middle - Jimmy Eat World
7) Self Esteem - Offspring
8) What I wanted - Nelly Furtado
9) Shiver - Natalie Imbruglia
10) Thriller - Fall Out BOy

and worst
Whitney Houston - I will always love you.
James Blunt - Beautiful and the other c r ap James Blunt - Goodbye my lover
Dance with my Father by Luther Vandross with Richard Marx : seriously sentimental song with terrible performance
R Kelley - nearly anything, particularly I believe I can fly because that was a hit.
Will Young - not a musician, a dancer, and can't say singer after "light my fire"
Justin Timberlake - sorta like bob skinstadt, has yet to produced anything good, but people get caught up on the hype, and say he has some fab stuff. he has _none_
Nathaniel ... oh no, the last 3 all are actually (and also gay) performance artists or dancers than musicians. But I am cutting and pasting some from another forum ...
http://www.pcformat.co.za/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21368&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Re: Music in general
May 07, 2007 08:46AM
Razor Light is really good, check out their website: www.razorlight.co.uk !!!
May 07, 2007 09:59AM
Artists I like:
Bad Religion
NOFX
Tool
Millencollin
Misfits
Smile empty soul
AFI (except there latest album)
Adema
Guano Apes
Rancid
The Offspring
and many others

Artists I hate:
Pretty much everything that is played on the radio.
Pretty much everything that the average south african likes(The average south african only knows about stuff on the radio anyway so this might be a bit redundant sad smiley )
May 07, 2007 01:06PM
malcolm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Artists I hate:
> Pretty much everything that is played on the
> radio.
> Pretty much everything that the average south
> african likes(The average south african only knows
> about stuff on the radio anyway so this might be a
> bit redundant sad smiley )

I've heard tool and offspring played on the radio!

btw, tool is my favorite band in the whole world smiling smiley boy does that make me feel young....

i also like Tori Amos, old incubus, some joy division, bauhaus and korn (but less so now!)
May 07, 2007 01:47PM
Hence why I said "pretty much everything" not "everything".
Most rules tend to have exceptions occasionally, also I tend to prefer the old Offspring albums (The offspring, Ixnay on the Hombre, and Ignition).

I won't rule the chances of songs off those 3 albums ever being played on the radio but I would definitely wager that there occurrence is rare enough that it could be completely ignored.(With the exception of bad habits perhaps).

If you can point me to a radio station that is playing a bad religion song(Without holding the dj at gunpoint or somehow black mailing them into doing it) I might consider retracting my anti radio statements from above though tongue sticking out smiley

Some of the old incubus was pretty cool.
May 07, 2007 02:41PM
Hey we got rock/metal heads in da house huh? Me, a hip-hop and R&B dude. I also dig classical piano and concerto pieces (Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, most of 'em). Yeah contrasting I know, but that's just how I am.
I like:
Snoop Dogg
Michael Jackson
Kanye West
Black Eyed Peas
... list is way too long

I hate:
lemme think about that one
May 07, 2007 04:42PM
malcolm Wrote:
> Hence why I said "pretty much everything" not "everything".
my bad! sorry about that.

late 90ies was some the best music ever! i was to poor and young to be able to afford any CDs then but i remember the greats! i love blind melon's no rain...

pink floyd "the final cut" is also great - the only album of theirs i was ever able to get into.

i have heard tool and korn on tuks fm (lunchtime?) and somtimes ray white plays some not too bad rock on r2000 in the mornings...

the hate side would be "michael learns to rock" is no 1! if i have to hear that "paint my love song" one more time i might just blow a fuse! otherwise i'm actually pretty easy going and will listen to a wide range. otherwise most things by celine, whitney and co are on my avoid like the plague list...

any "dead can dance" fans out there? me, i like "towards the within"
May 07, 2007 04:43PM
Oh yeah, add all afrikaans music to the hate list as well smiling smiley
May 07, 2007 04:45PM
not all... just the stuff you hear on the radio winking smiley
all would be excessive perhaps?
May 07, 2007 04:48PM
Not when it comes to afrikaans music tongue sticking out smiley
May 07, 2007 08:20PM
Just contemporary/modern rock for me: Nirvana, Live, Metallica, Def Leppard, Guns 'n Roses, Tool ...

But of late (well ever since I've started COS311) I've started listening to Cradle of Filth, Slipknot, Dimmu Borgir, Type O Negative ... What can I say 'cept that C++ and Qt4 makes me aggressive angry smiley

Oh well if I fail COS311 at least I'd have memorized a few metal songs along the way- all's well !!
May 07, 2007 08:41PM
apparently geniuses tend to listen to heavy metal and metal and such...
May 08, 2007 07:10AM
...if theres no radio (Malcolm), how are you exposed to music?
Sometimes I have randomly downloaded (to use up remaining bandwidth) music without knowing the artist, and have found some gems. Now that Iburst allows you to carry over bandwidth i no longer download music, and so I don't know whats out there.

I used to listed to ECR a heck of a lot, a long time ago. But stopped as a regular listener( even thought its on whole day at the office) years back. Last night I was too lazy to get up and off the radio, and so had trevor williams on. On he/his playlist both still stink.

I stopped being a regular on 5fm since Barney wasn't renewed. There's only Ian and Sasha left thats half decent, Sureshnie has some good stuff occasionally, but Koula seems to have to really follow a playlist, meaning theres some stinkers mixed in between anything decent.

Now and again it's radio 2000 , but it is not an habit. So here in Durbs thats the only options. I have a cd collection, but that is limited. And downloading mp3's from the internet without paying means ... no loss to anyone? I mean, I have 5 original cd's in my meagre collection that I have first skimmed of the net as mp3's years ago. But not there's nowhere to look.
May 08, 2007 09:47AM
Via the Internet and/or friends.
I usually download anything anyone recommends and give it a listen if I like it I keep it around, if I dislike it I delete it and never download it again...

Thanks to mp3 cds I can have a far wider range of stuff playing while I drive then any radio station would ever have AND not ever have to listen to stuff i dislike. Why radio is still alive is beyond me, I guess with the growing popularity of the Ipod etc. it will eventually die like it should have long ago though.

If I really like a band I will at some stage try to buy one of there cds as they then deserve to make money off me. As there cds are usually really hard to obtain in this country this is normally a lost cause though. If I don't buy there cd I buy tshirts or other merchandise which is arguably better then buying there cd as most of the money then goes to the band instead of the parasitic music labels.
May 08, 2007 10:22AM
Kilhra Wrote:
> apparently geniuses tend to listen to heavy metal
> and metal and such...

there was a link on bbc news about something like that a while ago...
May 08, 2007 12:46PM
Kilhra Wrote:
> apparently geniuses tend to listen to heavy metal
> and metal and such...

Hey - I'm a genius and I didn't even know it!! smiling bouncing smiley
May 08, 2007 01:46PM
it doesn't necessarily work both ways winking smiley

you could just be an ordinary guy who likes metal...
Anonymous User
May 08, 2007 02:17PM
even music you like can be killed by overplaying on the radio
May 11, 2007 10:08AM
What type of music does My Chemical Romance play - sounds like metal?
May 11, 2007 01:32PM
Tracey Wrote:
> What type of music does My Chemical Romance play -
> sounds like metal?

more like rock... not to heavy at all.
May 11, 2007 01:44PM
Nice!
May 12, 2007 04:56AM
i'd like to encourage everyone in sa to get as much of felix laband's music as possible! for a taste,

http://www.fractographer.com/test3/Alif%20Tree%20-%20Forgotten%20Places%20(Felix%20Laband%20Remix).mp3 (some ppl might remember a similarly gritty style from those underage drinking ads in the cinemas - same artist)
http://www.fractographer.com/test3/Felix%20Laband%20-%20Rain%20Can.mp3 (just beautiful)

i also listen to a ton of mostly unrelated stuff, from oldies to classical, metal to electronica, drum and bass, ambient, japanese flute, irish folk (cranberries) to enya... generally anything made with real skill gives me goosebumps smiling smiley life without music is meaningless!
May 12, 2007 07:59AM
oh yeah, and an AWESOME collection of demoscene music can be found here: http://www.demovibes.org/ (if you don't know about the amazing demoscene, check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demoscene - that's a decent-sized piece of my history there btw winking smiley)
May 21, 2007 02:35PM
Hexamaniac your selection is tight jo!thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login