Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Who are you?

Posted by Tracey 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Re: Who are you?
April 19, 2007 02:55PM
Hey Deon, I just started this year as well. And fyi, I think you started as early as you want to look at it. And talk about addiction Rob, I think I am right there behind you buddy. i read more postings than emails thumbs up smiley.

Thanks to all you guys for sharing your inspirational stories and plz keep inviting others for any development opportunities out there that may stimulate interest in our studies.
April 19, 2007 04:44PM
I'm 32, male, live in JHB.

I've been programming for 11 years, did training in Cobol for a few months then moved to Natural Adabas (a mainframe language and DB ). I moved over to Java about 4 years ago, now I'm a Certified Java Developer. Also used plenty of other languages like VB6, .Net etc.

This is the 4th year of my BSC degree and hopefully my last, only 6 modules to pass. Unfortunately I seem to have left some of the most difficult ones for last especially COS340, the others are COS311, COS301, COS261, ECM101, MNB102.

Feel like a need a break from studying, so I might not do my Honours immediately. But who knows, you get so used to it so I might as well continue.
April 19, 2007 04:49PM
Watch out Reanie I'm catching up to you winking smiley
April 20, 2007 07:43AM
Also from Durban.I am 29 so being single with 30 around the corner is quite depressing. But everything in life seems to take longer for me, so much hard work to put in for the rewards.

I just got my first car, a tazz... and am working full time. And putting in an equal amount of unpaid overtime, and so every assignment for Software engineering stream is submitted at the 12th hour.

I finished my Datametrics, and now into 4th year total, with 6 this year and 7 next year to do. I am waiting for them to Drop CEM101 but apart from that the other toughies are COS340/COS351 next year. This year I have COS321 which I really enjoy, the rest are the maths and INF modules that I don't care about. I have mixed and match 1st,2nd, & 3rd year subjects.Oh yeah, 2 years ago I walked into the cos214 having studied for cos221, thinking that I had a whole week to review the material. I didn't. But 51% was good enough.

I enjoy Delphi best of all , C,C++, and JAVA is creepy but I get by okay.

For the small family business I work for, I am a scanner operator, data capturer, system admin, and late at night I am doing programming for the company when I can. I am attempting to use ocr (with open source libraries!) to help with the data capturing of scanned images. I am also in love with the bosses 19 yr daughter, but its one sided and secretly so, so I whenever I can't take anymore I run on guilt but mainly love for the family.

I keep juggling things around like work, study, and family, my sanity and have not had a break for 4 years now, but I can't let anything drop.I will be at work on the 27th Arpil and on the 1st of May. And every holiday this year.

HAving put in a lot of hard work, I love the satisfaction of seeing my software running on some big name companies.
April 20, 2007 09:17AM
Matthee, unfortunately, the law of physics will result in me always being ahead - you'll only catch up when I'm "not here" anymore, and I plan to stay until somewhere in the 90's -> and woman live longer than men.
Reanie
April 20, 2007 10:59AM
wHOA, I MEAN LIKE WOWeye popping smiley
tHE RESPONSE HERE HAS BEEN GREAT.

REANIE YOU BETTER ENJOY BEING THE OLDEST COZ I'M ENJOYING BEING THE YOUNGEST HERE. AS FOR THE OTHERS, YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO EARN YOUR WAY INTO THE RECORD BOOKS

aFTER HAVIN READ THESE MESSANGES I FEEL A LIL BIT DOFF, I MEAN SOME PEOPLE HAVE BEEN TO UCT AND UP, NOT FORGETTING THE GUY WHOS IN CAMS, UK.

i DON'T MEAN TO BE DEMANDING HERE BUT SINCE i'M THE YOUNGEST HERE, i BELEIVE THAT MY OLDER BROTHERS AND SISTERS SHOULD DO EVRYTHING FOR ME - WELL, THEY SHOULD ATLEAST HELP ME OUT MORE. bY THE WAY MY BIRTHDAY IS ON SEPT 29, AND i DON'T CARE WHETHER YOU HAVE AN ASSIGNMENT, JOB INTERVIEW OR YOU HOUSE BURNT DOWN, i WANT A BASH i TOTALLY LOVE CHOCOLATE, FARRERO ROCHE AND LINDT, PLEASE DONT BUY ME BEACON - EEEUW.drinking smileysmileys with beer

oN A MORE SERIOUS NOTE NOW, ITS SUCH AN HONOUR TO MEET SUCH GREAT PEOPLE LIKE YOU(nELSON mANDELA IS NOT AS GREAT AS THEM)spinning smiley sticking its tongue out. i HAVENT EVEN HELD DOWN A JOB YET, AND SOME OF YOU GUYS HAVE MADE IT UP THAT CORPORAL LADDER HEY. sO WHO WANTS TO GIVE ME SOME CONTACTS? i'M NETWORKING NOW.

iT JUST OCCURED TO ME NOW AS AN AFTER-THOUGHT, AS i WAS READING THROOUGH THE RESPONSES SOMEONE METIONED THAT THEY ARE ADDICTED TO "WORLD OF WAR CRAFT" - NOT THAT i KNOW WHAT IT IS - WELL i'M SO ADDICTED TO MXIT, ITS NOT EVEN AN ADDICTION ANYMORE(MORE LIKE A CULT IF YOU ASK ME). i NOW MAKE SURE i STUDY AS NMUCH WORK DURING THE DAY AS POSSIBLE BECAUSE I KNOW THAT AT NIGHT i AM UNABLE TO COMPLETE MUCH BECAUSE OF THIS STUPID MXIT.

aNYWAY i THINK i'VE SAID MORE THEN ENOUGH NOW AND IT'S TIME i STOPPED THIS BITCHING hot smileyAND GET BACK TO MY inf1059 AND sts1055.

lATER thumbs up smiley
dON'T FORGET TO INVITE ME ON MXIT( 078 415 5547)
cHEERSsmileys with beer
April 20, 2007 11:07AM
rEANIE i WOULN'T BE BOTHERED BY MATTHEW, HE THINKS HE CAN DEFY THE LAWS OF AGE LET ALONE THOSE OF PHYSICS - BETWEEN ME AND YOU, i THINK HES BEEN READING THE WRONG SCIENCE TEXTBOOK.smileys with beer

dID YOU HEAR ABOUT THAT WOMAN WHO WAS SUPPOSEDLY 140 WHEN SHE DIED? NOW MATT BUDDY THE ONLY PLACE YOUR GOING TO BE SEEING THOSE NUMBERS IS IN YOUR STATS MODULE AND COMPUTER MODULES.

LATER thumbs up smiley

E-mail: m26435@yahoo.co.uk
Cell no: 078-415-5547
Course: BSc Computer Science and Information Technology - Software Engineering Stream
Modules: COS111-U, INF120-8, INF105-9, STS105-5, CSS101-H, CEM101-A
April 20, 2007 11:29AM
Hey london, theres something wrong with your keybord. LOL. smiling bouncing smiley
April 20, 2007 02:18PM
well until reanie's birthday i'm still a year closer...

as records go can I try out for "the youngest person on the forum to have worked in Natural Adabas"? I did that for about 14 months when i started working (before Y2K hit winking smiley )
April 20, 2007 02:47PM
Gee me one record too. For...anything. And london mig33 is also great if u like chatting a lot. My birthday is on the 12 Sep and I want a nice loving girl friend whom I can cherish.eye rolling smiley Oh and an IT job in Durbs
April 20, 2007 03:14PM
So what are you giving me the 12th of June?? smile
April 20, 2007 05:04PM
Reanie, well I'm also 38 so now I've knocked you off your pedestal or joined you on it or something smileys with beer

...and I thought *I* was the world's oldest CS student haw haw
April 20, 2007 07:37PM
Rob...long time no see...I was wondering what happened to you
congrats on the new job and also on the birthday!
April 22, 2007 09:28PM
Hi there

Great thread! I'm really surprised at the diverse skills of some of the people that have posted here. Anyways, I'm 24 from PMB (very few of us doing BScIT sad smiley here!). I'm currently unemployed (by choice) with full focus on completing my BSc Software Engineering degree, and hopefully (*crosses fingers n toes*) this will be my last year. Courses this year: COS311; COS321; INF305; INF307; INF320.

My interests are open source tools and technologies (Java, Linux, PHP etc..) and also experimenting with AJAX and Rich Internet Architecture (RIA) frameworks. I intend pursuing Linux, Java and Oracle Developer certification sometime in the near future.

Regards
April 23, 2007 11:31AM
Talking about records

I am 40 years old, and stays at the MOST southern tip of Africa.
I am married and have two rugby mad boys (6 and 9).
I write software engineering programs in Delphi, Visual C++, and C++.
I have no time to study (too much sport on TV these days, ... thanks to SABC for not showing all the cricket matches, I needed that), so I just want to get done with my Honours and enjoy life again.
I cycle(avg 25km) and jog (5km) early in the morning on the road regularly.
I love woodwork - find it very relaxing.
April 23, 2007 12:05PM
Course: BSc Computer Science and Information Technology - Software Engineering Stream
Modules: COS111-U, INF120-8, INF105-9 and COS113W-07-Y1
April 23, 2007 01:07PM
Ok, Louis have outthroned me - but he is busy with his Honours and I'm still struggling with the degree....
Reanie
April 24, 2007 01:08PM
thumbs up smileyWow did I "hear" Reanie admit defeat? Thats a first alright. Any welcome Louis to Reanies pedastal. And It seems I also have to do the same since mira radia has thrown me off my high horse - or shall I say she stole my thunderhot smiley.
But I never leave with my tail between my legs ya'll I Have another record under my sleeve and that is: I'm the only gay guy here. Hows that for a record?

g2g later
April 24, 2007 02:07PM
Well, Nick and I am still the oldest busy with an "original" degree, Louis the oldest with a "further" degree and on the forum.
If Nick is willing to state in which month his birthday is, we can "contest" that spot as well...

Bottom line, if you "younger" one's don't succeed, don't give up, you can keep on trying!!!

Reanie
April 24, 2007 03:07PM
rEANIE SWEETHEART i DON'T THINK LOUISES SPOT CAN BE CONTESTED FOR, MIND YOU 40 AND 38, MATHEMATICALY HAVE A DIFFERENCE OF 2, AND i DOUBT THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO COVER TWO YEARS IN A MATTER OF KNOWING LOUISES BIRTHDAY.

bY THE WAY TODAY i WENT TO pRETORIA FOR THE cos111-u WORKSHOP AND GUESS HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE THERE? JUST ABOUT 40 OR SO, WHAT A TURN UP. i THOUGHT IT WAS IN A WAY WORTHWHILE AND USEFUL, SO TOMORROW i'M GOING AGAIN FOR THAT icdl STUDY SCHOOL. i JUST HAVE TO SAY THAT THE MAIN CAMPUS LOOKS REALLY GOOD - ENGINEERING EXCELLENCE.

lATER GUYS. thumbs up smiley
Anonymous User
April 24, 2007 04:01PM
ahem ahem ahem (clears throat)cool smiley friends romans joburgers lend me your eyes so that you can act interested in what i`m gonna wrightsmiling bouncing smiley
ok here goes my name is masood just started software engineering this year after failing hopelessly in bcom marketing but it was the best thin to happen because it sucked lol im from jhb am 20 years old so i guess that would mean mid life crises in this forum lol studin like this is bit better no more shit trafficthumbs upam finding it bit tough to keep up wit this assignment and my bloody computer bombed out angry smiley and like some one else mentioned it motivates me when i see elder ppl still studing and hopefully 1 day i to can sy im goin for my honours may the lord be with all of in which ever religion you are from but in the end we are all the same weather you jew christian or muslim there is only one lord and let not our differences in belief cause hatred and animosity between us.i believe the best gift you can give a person is a smile so people let us smilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmile
April 24, 2007 04:12PM
London,
Please fix your "CAPS LOCK" key on your keyboard....
This old person has trouble reading in capitals!
Reanie
April 24, 2007 05:01PM
Bonjour fellow SoulJahs...28 here and currently doing 1st year BSc in Comp Sci [Computational Intelligence stream]...

talking about age...what i've noticed after startin this degree is that age and experience in IT before you even start a degree like this is extremely vital...without a substantial amount of knowledge about IT in general diving into a degree like this would be suicide...the level that one is started off at is fairly high when you consider it and the basics are just brushed in very briefly...just glad IT has been my religion for many years before i started this degree!

Experience : Computer Hardware/Software repairs/installations/maintenance/
Graphic Design/DTP work/Multimedia Authoring
Audio Creation/Manipulation
Web Development
Network Administration
Video Game Analysis smiling smiley
April 25, 2007 08:23AM
I'm suicidal then because I only had a PC Engineering diploma and had worked in a few IT-unrelated, dead jobs between getting my diploma and now. I am in my second month of my first programming job and I'm doing web development so some of my subjects don't really relate to my work experience.

I've noticed most of the people on this forum are either doing honours, finishing up their degree or only just starting. I'm somewhere in the middle and basically on my own then.
April 25, 2007 08:44AM
I was half way thru my electronic diploma when I realised that software engineering would suit me better.
I nevertheless finished the diploma. In my third year of working as a electronic technician I started with my BSc degree at UNISA. I only started to work as a programmer after I finished my degree (12 years after matric). It was at times frustrating not being in the IT/software related field.
But the effort was worth it ... and by the way I could not see myself with a solder iron chasing faulty miniature electronic components at 50.
My electronic background does come in handy at my present job I must add.
So, keep your chin up.
April 25, 2007 09:22AM
Wow a lot of really ancient people on here winking smiley

I am 23 and currently in my second year of studying honours, If all goes well I will finish next year, and do not currently have any plans to study further then that. (All though occasionally I think it might be fun to take a degree in something completely unrelated to my work/main hobby(computers) such as philosophy or politics or something)

I can often be seen complaining about UNISA's horrible service etc. but this is only because I owe a lot to them and do not want to see them go down hill. (I only got access into BSC due to UNISA's access maths course, as I messed up really badly in school for various reasons, No other proper university would have accepted me without me having to completely redo Matric)

In addition to this I work as the main c++ programmer in a smallish company(In terms of employees not customers) that makes dictionary compilation software and other language technology related tools. Although I am also exposed too/make use of many other languages and technologies, LUA, PHP, XSLT to name a few..
April 26, 2007 05:35PM
I feel ancient at 46, a lecturer living in Lesotho,kids grown up so needed to keep busy, registered for scientific computing and hopefully two more years to go!
April 27, 2007 05:28PM
lots of interesting folks around smiling smiley

i'm 23, left uct in my final year of an intellectually worthless cs degree to study on my own... will be emigrating to new zealand (land of hobbits and sheep) in a month or so, so it's kinda handy. will (fingers crossed!) be graduating next year. i'll really miss cape town, it's about the nicest place on earth i've seen so far (out of a great many!) :/

i work (very) part time as a game developer, and took a kind of gap year in 2003 to do an internship at lionhead working on black&white 2 to see what real life looks like... other than that i'm just studying my arse off and posting like crazy on too many forums tongue sticking out smiley occasionally i do some interesting freelance work, last year i helped design/program vfx for a robbie williams concert, that was most excellent (even if his music sux, heh)!

some of my hobbies are mathematical+graphics programming (especially ray tracing and monte carlo methods, the meaning of life), juggling, listening to strange music, appreciating terry pratchett's infinite genius, smoking herbs and making fractal rendering software smoking smiley (http://lyc.deviantart.com)
April 30, 2007 09:06AM
You guys are so grown im thinkin of doin my matric all over again and coming back to study when i alse see grey hair and can sign any document or contract without the need of a parent of guidian of sumtin. But it motivates me too. Studying is a life long processthumbs up
April 30, 2007 03:54PM
OK, I am 41, but I am definitely not having a mid life crisis.

I have a 7 and 5 year old boy, and hopefully by the 9th of May I will know whether another boy or girl for a change is on the way.

I am currently a software architect (ho hum) and have been in IT since Bill Gates was still debugging OS/2. That will be around 1990 if I can remember well. I have experience with Pascal, C, C++, C#, VB, PL/M, Java (SE and ME), and UML.

Getting a degree was always one of my goals in life, but finances was in the way. I am currently doing the BSc Computer Science track with the following modules: COS101, COS111, MAT103, MAT112. I will see when I finish, but will definitely take 6 modules next year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login