Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking for ease of mind

Posted by andrevh 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Looking for ease of mind
October 15, 2007 09:53AM
So, who is studying and constantly visting this forum to look for some or other remark that will give them ease of mind.

I am.
Re: Looking for ease of mind
October 15, 2007 11:35AM
LOL ... me too smiling smiley I think that this exam is going to be 50/50 (i.e. could be good, could be bad). There is a whole load of theory but from the exam tutorial letter, 53% of the paper is going to be application of that theory so lots of algorithm application, calculation, maybe some psuedo code (easy stuff if you can grasp how to apply and understand the algorithms). As for the other 47%, I'm really hoping they're going to focus on the commonly examined stuff and avoid the last couple chapters and Knoppix because I've personally spent most of my time on chapters 3 thru 11 (with 10 and 11 having lowest priority).
Re: Looking for ease of mind
October 15, 2007 11:43AM
Accoring to Tut 103's paper, it seems that Chapter 14 and 15 can be ignored.

I thinks semaphores and dead locks are definite questions and Knoppix is a grey area.
Re: Looking for ease of mind
October 15, 2007 11:53AM
Looking back at previous year's exam tutorial letters, when Knoppix was included in the module (2005 onwards) it was explicitly noted when there would be Knoppix questions in the paper but this year, that's not the case so lets hope there won't be any.
Re: Looking for ease of mind
October 15, 2007 12:17PM
This is a cut and paste from the remarks on 2006 Paper doc: 2006 paper from Susan

2006 PAPER

Hi -
They don't let us keep the exam paper - but here is what I remember:
q1 - difference between a thread and a process, give advantages and disadvantages of using threads, what is the impact of one thread assigned to one request (15marks)
q2 - draw 3 gantt charts for 6 processes - SJF, non-preemptive priority, round-robin with quantum = 2, give formulae for turnaround time and waiting time, then calculate these values for the 6 processes based on each of the gantt charts (20 points), which algorithm results in the minimum ave waiting time?
q3 - memory allocation algorithms - first fit, best fit, worst fit - define, then work out which is the most efficient given a list of memory holes and a list of segment requests. (15 points)
q4 - locking - draw resource allocation graph, identify all cycles, define necessary conditions for deadlock, say if a deadlock exists for the example and why. (8 points)
q5 - segmentation - they gave a chart with segment id, base limit and segment size, and a list of logical segment addresses (seg, offset). Explain how logical segment address is transformed into a physical segment address. For each segment calculate the physical address if possible. (8points)
q6 - essay on networking - dont remember details because I didn't answer it. (15 points)
q7 - 5 linux commands - had to describe exactly what each one did (10 points)




This seems pretty much the same subjects as from our TUT103 paper except q7
avatar Re: Looking for ease of mind
October 15, 2007 01:18PM
The sample format for the 2010 has no Knoppix questions. And they said that the exam will follow that format with similar mark allocation? I skipped knoppix so far, and am very weak on the last 2 chapters. Others I grasp the concepts just enough not to worry. I am not aiming for 100%, 48 will do....
iva
Re: Looking for ease of mind
October 15, 2007 02:10PM
just memorise a few linx commads like i did , it could end up counting alot and it would be a waste cos they are easy to remember

i just took the ones from our assignments and memorised them
avatar Re: Looking for ease of mind
October 15, 2007 07:30PM
I'll have peace of mind after I get my results grinning smiley

Most of the exams at UNISA seem to follow what was tested in the assignments. But guess what...I always leave out learning the assignments for the last minutes.
This year I went over the assignments the day before so I'm pleased about that eye rolling smiley

I think the application of Banker's algorithm and page scheduling algorithms might appear in the paper.
Re: Looking for ease of mind
October 15, 2007 07:44PM
I'm pretty sure the deadlock algorithms, scheduling and possibly page replacement algorithms will be there.
Re: Looking for ease of mind
October 17, 2007 10:56PM
I realised late nigth before the exam that I didn't receive a single answer tut....
didn't even download electronic copies, because'I'll get it in the mail"
I don't think I actually got any in the mail sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login