Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 2 queries

Posted by stevenv 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Assignment 2 queries
May 10, 2007 11:08PM
Anybody got any suggestions on question 5.2 of assignment 2? I'm thinking that they're looking for something similar to 5.1 except there are four frames instead of three and the replacement algorithm is that new items are added to the top of the four frames and the other items move down. When the available frames are full, the oldest item "goes out the bottom". Thats my understanding of pg 345-347.

While on the topic of assignment 2, struggling to find some information to answer question 6. Anybody got some insight?
Re: Assignment 2 queries
May 14, 2007 06:50PM
Well obviously I'm the only person finding difficulty in answering question 6. I have found information on (c) and (d) but cannot find any reference to a single-user system or single-partition scheme. I may end up submitting the assignment with those questions left out but if anybody would like to shed some light or point me in a direction, feel free ...
May 14, 2007 07:09PM
I'm not doing too well in this assignment at all. I don't know about q5.2.
I also don't know about the single user system but some info on the single partition system can be found in the summary. Its something about fixed-partition length.

Q4 I have no idea and 1.2 not too clued up on. Anyone want to point in the right direction, please don't hesitate.
May 14, 2007 07:12PM
Sorry to not be of any help, but you are not alone, I am struggling with the exact questions that you've mentioned above, so either we both are missing something or it is just not explained in the study material.

Anyone else who can enlighten us??

Good luck anyway!
May 14, 2007 07:19PM
I also thought it had something to do with fixed partition length and I started searching Google and found this page http://faculty.juniata.edu/rhodes/os/ch7a.htm but I'm still thinking that multiple partitioning can also refer to partitions of fixed sizes. I also tried searching memory partitioning and didn't find a helluva lot of information sad smiley

On a different but related subject: I'm quite annoyed with the study guide for this module because the chapters in the study guide don't correlate with the chapters in the textbook and when they refer to the textbook chapters from the study guide, they are always wrong e.g. page 79 of the study guide under checklist says "After you have completed Chapter 10 of SGG..." but chapter 10 is about the file-system interface, not virtual memory!!!
May 14, 2007 07:28PM
Some information I found in the PowerPoint presentation for this chapter:

Single-partition allocation
- Relocation-register scheme used to protect user processes from each other, and from changing operating-system code and data
- Relocation register contains value of smallest physical address; limit register contains range of logical addresses – each logical address must be less than the limit register

Multiple-partition allocation
- Hole: block of available memory; holes of various size are scattered throughout memory
- When a process arrives, it is allocated memory from a hole large enough to accommodate it
- Operating system maintains information about: (a) allocated partitions (b) free partitions (hole)
May 14, 2007 07:35PM
I agree Steven. I too am disappointed with the guide. Thanks for searching around.
May 14, 2007 07:47PM
Yup, I agree about the chapters in the study guide. I find it a bit annoying and confusing. But that I can live with, not finding answers is what's frustrating me. But that's hopefully just part of the learning curve and by exam time we will understand everything grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login