Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone got the Qt4 IDE to work?

Posted by robanaurochs 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Anyone got the Qt4 IDE to work?
February 16, 2007 03:47PM
I hate unix ports.

Has anyone got the IDE to compile anything? It keeps giving me errors. I can compile from the command line using qmake and then make but can't do it from the IDE that comes on the 2007 CD.

I see that the source code comes with so theoretically I could compile MS libraries to use with Visual Studio. I tried getting the VS libraries from the Qt site but they say that only the Unix versions are under the GPL and that MS versions need a commercial license.

Does anyone have the library layout conveniently available so I can compile my own MS libraries? Otherwise I'm going to have to manually go through all the makefiles to construct the projects (not looking forward to doing that).

I have given up on the idea of using QIDE (or whatever it's name is) and I am not looking forward to having to translate stuff from VS to DevC++ (another stupid port)

Why can't we supply VS project files instead of DevC++ ones? It's the most popular IDE in commerce and you can download the express editions for free from the MS website (C++ IDE is 91Mb) so it's not like it's not affordable.
avatar Re: Anyone got the Qt4 IDE to work?
February 20, 2007 11:55AM
Hmm

Since nobody seems to have a solution, I think I'll have to wade through the makefiles and make my own libraries for my MS IDE. Wish me luck.
Re: Anyone got the Qt4 IDE to work?
February 21, 2007 02:49PM
What OS are you running? I'm running FreeBSD for years and love ports.

Try installing the latest version of the IDE. For some big applications binary installs is the best. I've not used the one that comes with the CD yet so I can't help you there. Maybe try and use Eclipse with the C++ modules.

Otherwise good luck with those makefiles winking smiley
February 21, 2007 03:59PM
Nope, I'm on WinXP. I've never had the patience to learn how to fiddle with different flavours of unix. Whenever I've tried, I've always had to fight to get hardware drivers to run properly that I've always formatted and returned to Windows.

Don't get me wrong, I have no great love for windows, I just wish the unix people would take INF120 and INF320 and make things more usable and hassle-free.

And as far as ports go, unix to windows doesn't seem to work imo. MinGW can't even get long filenames to work and Windows has had them since Win95(released 1996). That's almost 11 years ago.

I'm gatvol of unix programs with their cryptic syntax and endless tweaking.
February 21, 2007 04:14PM
Yes I get what you're saying, it can be a pain if you're not interested. But to be honest I've had just as many problems with Windows apps that refuse to work or work like they claim to. Why people don't check there work properly before releasing or BETA well is beyond me...

Anyways, try the newest Ubuntu or Mandravia. The installs are the most painless that you'll get anywhere. Full GUI, very few prompts and very fast.
February 21, 2007 05:19PM
How do you watch DVD's on unix. The last time I tried an installation, it said that no free viewers were available due to licensing issues. That's another thing I don't like about unix. Corporates seem loathed to support it so you get a lot of garage amatures who think they're programming gods and come up with hacks. unix seems to be a spaghetti pile of hacks.

What's the whole thing about unix and files anyway. Everything is a file. There's no way I would ever install unix on my parents computer, you need a degree just to understand what's going on.

"Dad, that file's a disk drive not a document."

"No Mum, you need to mount the CD before you can open it...and don't forget to unmount it before putting in a new one."

ok, ok, I'll stop my rant there. I just like hassle-free software and so far MS Visual Studio is the best IDE I've ever come across
February 24, 2007 12:32PM
It depends on what errors you are getting... The IDE that I'm using had a problem finding the libraries to compile from, so I just included the path to the libraries.

On the unix front, I run both linux and windows. To start out on linux, I think the best flavour would be SUSE. And then just stuff around with it a bit... As for corporates, therre's alot that offer support for unix variants- most of your commercial drivers now have support for linux and a number of games are released with a linux port available(eg: UT2004). As for other software, like dvd viwers, just pick up an issue of "linux format" at CNA or whereever,for instance, and the cover disk is loaded with that sort of thing...
March 06, 2007 10:03PM
Hi

I managed to get it work work after quite a mission ...
I'm using Virtual PC 2007 (the new free version ...) to play around with new software like this ...

Anyway it is up and running all samples working ... i just can't now figure out what we are suppose to do for assignment 1 .... smile
March 10, 2007 02:47PM
robanaurochs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How do you watch DVD's on unix. The last time I
> tried an installation, it said that no free
> viewers were available due to licensing issues.
> That's another thing I don't like about unix.
> Corporates seem loathed to support it so you get a
> lot of garage amatures who think they're
> programming gods and come up with hacks. unix
> seems to be a spaghetti pile of hacks.
>
> What's the whole thing about unix and files
> anyway. Everything is a file. There's no way I
> would ever install unix on my parents computer,
> you need a degree just to understand what's going
> on.
>
> "Dad, that file's a disk drive not a document."
>
> "No Mum, you need to mount the CD before you can
> open it...and don't forget to unmount it before
> putting in a new one."
>
> ok, ok, I'll stop my rant there. I just like
> hassle-free software and so far MS Visual Studio
> is the best IDE I've ever come across

On the contrary, most things in *nix systems work better than in Windows systems. Nevermind the fact that is doesn't break every 5min. If you install one of the new Linux distros, I would recommend Ubuntu, SUSE or Fedora(Red Hat), you will see that the install is faster and easier than Windows. The new versions of the Gnome and KDE window managers(installed with the default installs of the above mentioned distros) are windows user friendly and if you can't use that you can't claim to be able to use Windows either so...

The only thing I have to reboot into Windows for is to play a game. Btw the most of the best apps people run on Windows are OSS that is compiled and developed on Linux first. You are likely viewing this text through a good example.
March 10, 2007 06:42PM
Hi

I have a copy of the Ubuntu distro. Do you guys think all this stuff will work on it? I have already successfully created an Ubuntu virtual PC! but I'm to scared to try and install things on it . dunno where to start ...
March 14, 2007 06:26AM
Hi,

I can upload the QIde binary somewhere if you guys are still having trouble building it from source. PS: Took over 30mins to build the 2MB exe file!

Regards
March 14, 2007 06:41PM
My QIDE is working fine on XP.

It does crash if you open a .cpp file without it being in a project, but with the project defined, it is fine.

robanaurochs, did you get your QIDE to work by now.

Is anybody still battling with it? (On XP)
March 15, 2007 08:55AM
Yes it does, I also had the problem of it crashing if no project is open. Silly little bug though
April 18, 2007 12:17PM
Geesh! your unix experiences sound a lot like my red-hat experiences.

I'm running SuSE linux and have no trouble, with dumb stuff like mounting cd drive, it gets done automatically. Maybe the time you tried the flavours was some time back. Linux has come a long way towars usability in the last few years.

So for programming and stuff I adore linux, however that does not mean I have disgarded windows (I need it to play games... smile ) so I have a dual boot setup.

give it another shot
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login