Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
TvD
Problems with uploading?
February 17, 2006 12:54PM
As an alternative to the instructions for uploading cas given in assignment 1 you can use the following steps as well (see assignment 2 for a detailed step by step description with pictures):

(1) Start your FTP program – as an alternative to WS_FTP another FTP client called FTP Explorer, is available in your CD download folder (unzip ftpexplorer.zip and run setup.exe). Configure FTP Explorer to access an FTP server with the URL osprey.unisa.ac.za and a login toby and password science. Connect to the site.

(2) Once a connection is established you will notice there are a number of directories displayed – one of these will be the same as your surname but DO NOT use this directory. Browse to a directory called public_html, double-click on it and you will see another set of surname directories – select the one that corresponds to your surname and enter it (double-click on it).

(3) You should now see a list of all the files in the directory – currently there will only be a single file in the directory called ‘index.html’, and possibly a single subdirectory called ‘images’.

(4) You can now UPLOAD (i.e. use the up-arrow on FTPExplorer) your ‘page1.htm’ and the graphics files that this page incorporates to your directory on the remote Website. Select your own files by browsing to the directory that contains them on your computer and then select them by single-clicking on them – you can select more than one file by holding down the control key whilst you click on the file. Use ‘OK’ after you have selected your file(s). FTPExplorer should show you the progress whilst it is uploading the file(s), and should then display a new directory listing that shows all the files that you have uploaded.

(5) Your files are now accessible to anyone with a browser and an Internet connection.
The URL that you should use is
htpp://osprey.unisa.ac.za/toby/yoursurname/filename.htm
Substitute "yoursurname" with your own surname (all lower-case and no spaces!), and "filename.htm" with whatever your file is called.

If you are connecting from work it is possible that your work firewall may prevent you from accessing ftp sites on port 21. Then you will have to ftp from a home computer.

Re: Problems with uploading?
March 05, 2006 08:30PM
I used osprey@unisa.ac.za instead of osprey.unisa.ac.za

it freezes WS_FTP and blows up

Once that is sorted WS_FTP seems more reliable and quicker than AceFTP.

Sorted now
thanks

Steve

"its DATA - you can do anything with it"
May 02, 2006 06:33AM
I also had problems with uploading my assignment2 but after reading this i am sure all will be well.
e.masemola
August 05, 2006 09:45PM
Hi

I am having problems connecting to the FTP Explorer. I'am doing something wrong as it gives many directories can someone please assist
thank you
tx
Jessi
TvD
August 06, 2006 07:43AM
Jessi
try the instructions here:
http://cs-cert.unisa.ac.za/internet/sudan/part2.htm
and let me know what happens
TvD
August 06, 2006 08:05PM
Hi

Thank you I found the folders however still can't access it from the Web
and I read something with regards to a Sudan folder but could not find one I think I messed up somewhere or I know I did

please help thank you
Jessi
TvD
August 07, 2006 07:19AM
Jessi
You must look for your own surname folder
If you can see the folders it means you are connected
How do you mean you can not access it from the Web?
TvD
August 07, 2006 10:06PM
Hi Toby

I figured it out my page does not display cause I used htm instead of html that was the reason for me not locating the URL

tx
Jessi
August 15, 2006 03:25PM
Hi,

I have tried countlessly to upload but I get a message saying access denied, I do everything step by step until I get to a point where I have to upload my personal info on the Osprey, but it just doesn't happen, pls assist.
TvD
August 15, 2006 05:11PM
Winzor what is your surname so I can check your folder?
So you can connect to the FTP server, log in etc , browse to your folder but then the problem starts when you try to upload?
TvD
August 15, 2006 08:47PM
Dear Toby

Thanks for responding to my "image" request over the weekend.However after many attempts I did not succeed in downloading my picture into my web page so I was just wondering how you structure the marking of assignment 1. How many points will be deducted for no picture?

Thanks
Elaine
TvD
August 16, 2006 06:49AM
Elaine the problem was that you picture was called imga0183.jpg.JPG but in your html you named it imga0183.jpg

That is now fixed see

http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/toby/andrianatos/index.html
August 16, 2006 10:49AM
My surname is Motalaote, ja I did all those the problem is to upload.
TvD
August 16, 2006 01:02PM
mmm I just uploaded a pdf to your folder with no problems - you are using FTP Explorer and not WS_FTP?
August 16, 2006 07:41PM
Thanks Toby you are a star!

Elaine
October 30, 2006 06:16PM
Dear Toby

I am experiencing problems with my images again for ass.3. All my files are uploaded to osprey but no images appear when the pages are opened. Please help!!!!!(My surname is Andrianatos) Sorry for the inconvenience but I have been battling with the images the whole day. smile
Thanks
Elaine
PS: I had the same problem with ass.2 I am obviously loosing my marbles!
October 30, 2006 06:29PM
Dear Toby
Sorry forgot to mention, the pages of Ass.3 that are faulty are "Family Photos" and "Home".
Thanks again
Elaine
TvD
October 31, 2006 08:23AM
(1) The pictures are not showing because you have a "/" in front of the name - I fixed assignment3_family_photos.htm - you still need to upload pav_pinocchio.jpg to the server. You must fix the other htm file the same way.
(2) Your links on the lefthand side refers to your home computer:
file:///C|/Documents%20and%20Settings/Paul/My%20Documents/assignment3_family_photos.htm
It should be
assignment3_family_photos.htm
I fixed them for assignment_3_home.htm and http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/toby/andrianatos/assignment3_family_photos.htm but you should fix them in the other htm files as well
(3) You refer in your html files to adventure.css and Elaine%20Ass%203.css but you have not uploaded those two css files
TvD
Anonymous User
October 31, 2006 08:22PM
I also have a problem with uploading via ftp..... to someone else's site. Is there any way of bypassing the username and password? Or is it possible to retrieve the password? The site is running on a Apace server.

Just wondering...
TvD
November 01, 2006 06:55AM
hi Reaper
I do not know - can't you use the osprey server?
TvD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login